I recently did a facilitation presentation for my Business Senior-Seminar class regarding the future of Smart Technology and to be honest, the way technology is advancing these days is pretty cool. When you hear or read about Smart Technology, you’ll see the term “IoT” a lot. IoT is short for Internet of Things which is defined as a network of internet-connected objects able to collect and exchange data using embedded sensors.
What makes IoT possible? 4 key components:
- The Cloud
- Machine Learning
- The Internet
The Internet of Things is responsible for the inter connectivity of things and devices that we are able to use everyday. A few examples would be:
- Amazon’s Echo/Dot. These small devices come with built-in microphones, speakers, Wi-Fi and voice control software that goes by the name Alexa.
- Google Home is making an entrance into the market with their own device that is powered by Google Assistant. Similar to Alexa but instead when you want to talk to the device you say ‘Hey Google’
- Apple HomeKit – honestly, what doesn’t Apple have? The Apple HomeKit is a platform that includes a hub device that uses Bluetooth/Wi-Fi to communicate directly to devices including: thermostats, door locks, lighting controls and potentially security systems. The only difference is that unlike the other two, Apple HomeKit does not have voice recognition.
Homes are beginning to get smarter! The application of Smart Technology within an individual’s home is to create a more comfortable and effective lifestyle. Some features that would be included in a Smart Home consists of
- Home Security Systems
- Controlled Exterior and Interior Lighting
- Automatic Windows and Curtains
- Entertainment System Controls
- Intercom Systems
- Home Energy Management
- Automatic Garage Doors
Why is all this information important? Smart Technology is starting to make a big impact on how individuals live their daily lives. Now it is even playing a role in businesses. To see more on IoT, check out our blog on Smart Glasses and the Future of HVAC.